Hair Care Challenges


Lots of hair blogs/networks have hair care challenges. They usually last about 3 months and are a way to introduce a product or care method into your regimen. There's also lots and lots of progress to be seen.

I'm currently considering two challenges. One is the castor oil challenge on this website  (registration is closed but that doesn't stop you from following along) and the other is the Green House Effect (GHE) challenge that was originally developed by a lady at RealQueens.net.

The Castor Oil Challenge

Involves using castor oil (any kind is permissible) on your roots and scalp as part of your weekly routine. The castor oil is supposed to stimulate growth and the antibacterial properties work to keep your scalp clean and infection free.

The Good: Results have been pretty stunning across the interwebs. Strong healthy roots lead to strong healthy hair.

The Bad: My itchy reaction to JBCO has me hesitating. If only there was some way to skin test this before I drop $6+ on a bottle of castor oil.

Which leads me to:

The GHE Challenge

GHE is pretty simple. You apply your essential oil of choice to your tresses. Place a shower cap/plastic bag over and let your body heat it up.  The moist environment is supposed to encourage your scalp to produce sebum  (ooh big word!) which helps nourish your hair and makes it grow.

The Good: Results have been stunning (there's a theme here). It's easy and cheap to do. It works to create moisture too which is always good for parched hair. If you are relaxed your hair might curl.

The Bad: If you do it every day it's likely your hair will start to smell and/or your scalp itch. It depends on how much you sweat. I sweat a lot so i'm only planning to do this on the tail end of my week. Wed, Thurs, Friday or maybe i'll alternate the days that I do this. If you are relaxed your hair might curl

I started yesterday before I realised how much I sweat. Though considering the way I sweat in other places it shouldn't have been a surprise. 

I'm using this oil combo (see right) that smells like green stuff. It says olive oil on the cover but there are so many other oils in there...I don't know why but they're good for my hair so i'm not complaining.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review: Manetabolism Vitamins

Curlformers – Of curls and things

Product Review: Hercules Sagemann Seamless Tooth Comb