Max Hydration Fail or Just the Beginning

Q: Why did I not get the same bomb reaction as all these other max hydration bloggers?

If you're like me, completely disappointed in your first attempt at max hydration...welcome. Here have a seat. Let's talk expectations vs reality. Coz I had a hard dose of reality this weekend.

Day 1 of Max Hydration Method





First: 

I completely backed out of my 'scientific' plan and just went full scale 'let's try this max hyrdation thing'. So I was a bit unprepared. Cherry Lola was not an option (and will likely not be. Do you know how much yogurt costs in this country??!!!) so I went straight to baking soda cleanse.

What I actually did:


1. The Cleanse. I mixed my baking soda with apple cider vinegar. 2 tea spoons of BS and 4 table spoons of ACV. Why do one when I can do both! I'd read somewhere in passing that BS + ACV combo was good for dandruff so I thought I'd try it.
            a. Not all the BS dissolved so have to figure out why.
            b. I ended up spraying the solution onto my scalp and rubbing it in. It foamed really nicely     and my scalp has been clean and relatively itch free for 4 days now. Almost unheard of before.
            c. I did not apply directly to my strands though I did pour the excess over my head. I'll probably do a better job next time.

2. Deep condition. I used my trusted Hairveda Sitrinillah. I don't really like using it on wet hair because it doesn't seem as if it's absorbed as well. Interestingly, it seemed to sink into my strands a bit better after washing the BS+ACV mix out. I did not apply heat as I usually do. I just sat around for about 40 mins. Looking back I should have pulled out the dryer hood and gotten full absorption.

3.Clay Rinse. I have the Aztec bentonite clay. Mixed that up with ACV, Coconut oil and some grapeseed oil. 1/2 cup of bentonite, 6 table spoons of ACV, 5 table spoons of distilled water, 2 tea spoons of coconut oil and a few spurts of grapeseed oil. Stir in a plastic bowl with a wooden spoon.
You're supposed to put the oils on top of the clay but I didn't read that instruction right. Oops.
                         a. The clay felt funny. I might not have made it smooth or liquidy enough.
                         b. Nobody ever fully describes how you are supposed to put it on your hair. I had 3    large sections and kinda just separated and spread it on the surface of each section like it was goopy nasty relaxer. Next time I need to get over my squeamishness and make smaller sections, make it more liquidy and really run the clay through my strands with my fingers. This is where the clumping is supposed to happen...but it didn't.
                        c. I sat under a hood for about 15 mins.

4. Wash and random conditioner. Washed the clay out (and prayed for my drain). Applied Aussie 3 minute miracle moist and put a shower cap on for 3-4 minutes.

5. Leave-in and Gel. I'm using this made in kenya leave-in called Marina. It's aight. It has flaxseed gel in it that's supposed to help with detangling. I don't think it has enough slip but I need a leave-in so used it. Will do a review later.
                        a. Again...nobody really describes how you're supposed to handle applying the gel while sectioning. You're supposed to use very small sections, apply the gel at the roots like a relaxer then smooth it down with your fingers until every strand is covered. It's best to do it on wet (not damp hair) and right after the leave in.
                         b. I did not find those instructions until a day after. I let my hair get damp, put the leave-in in all the sections before doing the gel. So I kinda failed.

6. The Drying. I still had some bouncy curls/hair as it was drying however my hair shrunk!!!! OMG shrunk so much. I rocked the WnG for the night and put in flat twists for work.



Conclusion: 

So.... not exactly the instant miracle I was expecting. It's a lot harder than the other blogs make it seem. It appears that smoothing in the clay and the gel are very important parts of the process. Hope to figure out how to do this better next time.

I've been sick this week so doing max hydration every day was not going to happen. I will give it another go tonight and then start seriously next week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review: Manetabolism Vitamins

Curlformers – Of curls and things

Product Review: Hercules Sagemann Seamless Tooth Comb