Winter Care - Update


I took my weave out!! *dancing in joy*


It actually wasn't that bad. I was diligent in getting my scalp and braids moisturised. I tried at least once a week to put in some hair trigger on the scalp and in the braids using my handy root's only bottle.

I love love love roots only and will be buying a whole bunch as stocking stuffers for the women in my family.

I think I neglected my leave out a little bit. I wasn't as consistent with the moisturise and seal routine as I could have been. And I think the ends broke off a little. (and I got a little dandruff along the part between braided hair and left out hair *pout*). Plus it was WINTER!!

My hair does not appreciate the dry or the wind but I found a solution!!! Satin lined hats.
I jerry-rigged that cap I have now but I've managed to convince a friend (who knits. Yeah!) to make me a nice new one so I'll be rocking that soon.


http://www.etsy.com/listing/117248186/purple-cabled-hat-clematis-purple-plum?
Like this. Click on picture to go to her Etsy website.

The satin lining man! the difference is awesome. My hair lay down flat and it retained a lot of the moisture. I also started using the LOC method with my neutrogena for the ends and komaza at the new growth, sealing with almond oil (or castor oil if it felt too dry) and dabbing on a bit of shea butter. My hair likes it. I believe it helped prevent a lot more breakage than was going on.

Conclusions:  My hair grew really well I think. The new growth is easy to handle. When I took my braids out they were well moisturised. My hair dresser thinks my hair works best when nothing is done to it....I'm inclined to agree.

What does that mean for the rest of my winter?

Well I have two options. (ok 3)

1. Keep my hair free. Use LOC method and stay religious about daily moisturize and seal. Bun and tuck but will require combing every day. Money Cost: $20 for neutrogina and komaza

2. Sew in weave again. Get a better quality weave this time around (Janet collection weave would tangle up the minute I wore it down. I was very sad.) Won't have direct access to my hair/scalp...frustrating. Hair will grow. Money Cost: 120+ for good weave

3. Get a good quality/ human hair lace front/full lace wig. Braid hair underneath. I'll get full access to scalp. May require biweekly upkeep of braids. Hair will grow. Money Cost: $250+

So yeah. I've started saving up for a wig. I like the idea of being able to air out my scalp, massage it (i.e. scratch it lol) when needed while still keeping it braided. I could rant about how if corporate america were more accepting of black hair styles I could just rock the cornrows and not bother with anything else...but that's for another time and another blog.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review: Manetabolism Vitamins

Curlformers – Of curls and things

Product Review: Hercules Sagemann Seamless Tooth Comb