Crochet Braids, Crochet Curls and how to keep your scalp clean


I put some crochet curls in over the Christmas Holidays! Crochet curls or crochet braids are a pretty popular way of giving your hair a rest and trying a new hair style. What few people will talk about it is how to care for your scalp and keep your scalp clean while they're on your head.

I'm sure everybody is already aware of the crochet curl creation process but will put up a small list for the curious

1. Hair! Used Janet Collection 3x Caribbean Braid. Washed in apple cider vinegar and warm water so my scalp won't react negatively to the chemicals on the hair
2. Used the pink/purple perm rods with a twisting motion for the curls
3. Put a little ORX coconut milk serum in the hair to make it smell nice and make it easier to separate for curling
4. Beehive cornrow pattern

I got a nice, full head of hair and am very happy with it

crochet curls, keep your scalp clean, how to care for crochet curls


Scalp care tips after the break



Scalp Care


I looked online for information on how to wash my scalp while I had my crochet curls in. A lot of the videos are for people who've put in straight or braided crochet braids. Since mine are straight up curls (and the hair got fuzzy really quick so they stick to each other like velcro...) I had to contend with "dry" method of care.

AKA

Apple Cider Vinegar, Warm Water and Coconut Oil


1. Mix the apple cider vinegar and warm water in a spray bottle

2. Separate curls as much as possible

3. Spray mix on scalp. Let it sit for a little bit

4. Rub vigorously with cotton wool

5. Apply Coconut oil to scalp


I've been working out every week so have done this on a weekly basis as well.

My scalp rarely itches thanks to washing the hair before installation and this cleaning method.
And it doesn't smell either!

I believe the braids have lasted longer (despite their fuzziness) because i've been able to keep them away from water.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review: Manetabolism Vitamins

Curlformers – Of curls and things

Product Review: Hercules Sagemann Seamless Tooth Comb