What they don’t tell you about ‘hair healthy’ shampoo

aka why doesn’t my sulphate-free shampoo lather ?

I started using my new Shea Moisture shampoo
(with Yucca and Biotin *natch*) this weekend….and quickly realized I’m going to change my entire hair washing technique.
Why?
No Suds! No Bubbles! No Sodium Lauryl Sulfate!?!


Yup, one of the major ingredients that creates those awesome bubbles and lather is also the number one culprit for dry, rough hair.

I’ve been trained to equate lather with cleaning. The convention goes "The more a shampoo lathers the cleaner my hair is going to feel" but going on this HHJ means giving up the bubbles for the sake of the length.

That clean feeling = drying and dangerous for your hair. I know that. I just wish somebody had warned me that sulphate free shampoo = no bubbles.  :( :(

So this new wash requires a new method. Here’s what I’ve concluded from my experience.

1. Don’t desperately keep adding more to your hair in the hopes that bubbles will show up. They won’t. You’ll just end up wasting shampoo (for some reason sulphate free shampoos like to come in smaller bottles)

2. You can’t slap it on your head and expect the foam to work its way to your scalp (no foam remember) so you have to try to apply it straight to the scalp to get that “clean feeling”.

3. Recommended method of washing is to use your fingertips and apply the shampoo to your scalp. As you wash it out, it’ll pass over your ends and clean them too. This method definitely takes some getting used to (I’m still getting used to it) but its supposed to be gentler on your ends since you’re not rubbing them together as much.


Result
I could feel the difference in my hair texture instantly. After my wash my hair felt blah but moist (is the best way to put it). Usually I can feel it rasp together before I put the conditioner in, but not this time. The shampoo did live up to its promise of fuller hair. It feels thicker especially at the roots. On the downside, I didn’t get the same satisfaction from using my moisturizing conditioner because the contrast wasn’t as different (what a weird problem to have eh?). Also, it seemed to take a little longer for my hair to completely absorb the my leave-in moisturizer. 

Have you switched to sulphate free? What are your methods for getting that ‘clean feeling”?

Old Shampoo: Head and Shoulders 2in1 with Almond Oil (Sulphate rich)

New Shampoo: Shea Moisture with Yucca and Biotin for fine hair. (Sulphate Free)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review: Manetabolism Vitamins

Curlformers – Of curls and things

Product Review: Hercules Sagemann Seamless Tooth Comb